Sunday, October 5, 2014

PACE Week 1

Because of studying in Taylor's I was given an opportunity to do community service in order to serve our society to make our country a better place. I was really excited to attend my first lecture to understand further details about this module. It was really challenging for us because it is my first time to do community service.

I was really excited, to know which program I am allocated for. Teaching was one of my dreams during my young age. It was really a great news for me since I noticed that I am allocated to do teaching program under PACE. Which stands for Programme for After Class Enrichment. The real challenge comes to us when we are required to create a group which consists of 4 members. I just joined the university since last semester so it is so hard to get someone from my programme (IBM) to be in the same group with me since everyone has their own friends already.

At last, I formed a group with Kitt with Yvonne. It was my pleasure to work with them and it was really my honor to team up with such talented teammates. Their aggressiveness, intelligence and the spirit to serve the community was really impressed me. We had lots of talks and Kitt and Yvonne really makes lots of jokes while we are planing for our community service. Despite they are humorous, they are really serious during the moment we are doing serious stuffs.

 Thursday, it was a rainy day. We went to Methodist high school which located in Sentul, Kuala Lumpur. We departed at around 2pm with a group of around 20 students. It has been awhile since I visit high schools after I graduated from my high school. Teaching is really challenging for me. The language used for mathematics are different from what we were study before. Malay language was used in Mathematics these days so it is quite difficult because we studied our mathematics and science by English. So the terms and verbs pre-study before the class are necessary for us.

Students were friendly. They were mixed by students which comes from different background and characteristics. Everyone were so enjoyed and we really had a great time. The mathematics chapter, "Circles" was presented in the class. Students were giving their full attention to ensure that they are able to answer the questions later on during the revision time.

I gave some of my advice to the students about the mathematics and taught him the concept that I learnt during my high school time. It is simple to understand and able to pick up the theory very easily.

In the end of the class, we played the word games which prepared by another groups of student from our university. Each group has their representative to perform their word games by pronouncing them as fluent as possible. Everyone learnt new things and enjoyed themselves in a rather relaxed environment.

We went back at around 5pm and we are really looking forward to meet the students in the upcoming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment